Learn about our lead Campaign for a Fair Transfer!
Priorities of OPAL Bus Riders Unite:
The mission of OPAL Bus Riders Unite is to win fair, friendly, frequent, fully-funded and affordable public transportation in the Metro Portland area.
1. We need TriMet to prioritize working-class Portland, people who depend on our public transportation for access to the necessities of life.
2. We demand fairness in TriMet budget priorities and demand an increase in the number of buses. Put an end to overcrowding, to long wait times, to late buses.
3. TriMet fares need to be reduced to increase ridership thereby improving air quality and health outcomes, reducing carbon emissions and addressing climate change.
Monthly Bus Riders Unite Membership Meeting – 5:00PM, 3rd Tuesday of every month! | OPAL Office 2407 SE 49th Ave TriMet #4, #14, #71
We welcome all bus riders and allies to build justice-making relationships, learn about our rights and public transportation, and mobilize to improve Trimet Bus service through funding and equitable policies. Be a part of a group working to empower and be powerful in support of our rights and concerns as Trimet bus riders.
Our monthly meeting is rich with conversation, and operates as an educational space to learn about community organizing, local political issues, and trainings to recruit news bus riders.
- Bus riders are 2 out of every 3 boardings on our public transit agency Trimet.
- Over the last decade, Trimet fares have risen over 70%, faster than inflation.
- Working people who depend on public transit are being forced to an additional $300 a year, while their service has been cut again and again. That’s a month of groceries, doctor check-ups for the family, or taking a community college class.
- Buses help reduce toxic air, and service reductions can lead to increased pollution and asthma.
We love our TriMet bus, when it costs $1.00, is not overcrowded, when it is frequent, and safe! We also know that every new TriMet bus helps reduce air pollution we are forced to breath each day, particularly in East Portland and near the growing I-205. We love it when people in our community get good livable wage jobs as Trimet workers, not green jobs for just those with access and training, we want green jobs for all.
- Are you a regular bus rider? Get involved with OPAL to protect this vital public service!
- Do you care about your health? Get involved with OPAL to help keep your environment clean from toxic pollution!
- Do you want to be involved with your neighbors and build community? OPAL believes that we need collective organizing to prevent the decay and disparities in our civic institutions and public services. Support OPAL’s Transit Justice & Health Campaign today.